Holden Forests & Gardens seeks an Education Internship (arboretum).
Holden Forests & Gardens has a 12-month Education Internship opportunity beginning in January 2019. The Education intern helps support the educational functions of the Education and Guest Experience Departments. The intern will be based primarily at the arboretum campus of Holden Forests and Gardens and will gain experience leading school programs/camps and public tours; will help maintain and develop programs for youth play areas and will assist with the development of interpretive materials and curriculum. Some administrative duties will also be part of the internship.
- Reports to Interpretive Services Manager
- Works with Education Staff
- Works with Youth and Volunteers
- Holden Forests & Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- The positions primary location is the arboretum in Kirtland with some exposure to
- programs/events held at Cleveland Botanical Garden
Assists in inventorying Holden’s plant collection by:
- Assist with development of interpretive elements for exhibits, events and self-guided experiences
- Lead public tours for adults and school programs
- Develop and lead summer camp programs
- Maintains sites and assists with activity development of children’s play areas
- Develops and maintains self-guided family engagement opportunities
- Schedule volunteers and instructors for tours and programs
- Teach classes quarterly
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, horticulture, natural sciences, or related field
- Experience teaching or working in an educational/museum setting or other non-profit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with an ability to multi task
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds in a positive, team-player environment as well as work independently
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Applicants must have their own transportation
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden
- Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Reach, kneel, bend and twist at waist, bend at knees, crouch, see, hear, touch, grasp objects, push, pull, sit
- Must be able to work indoors as well as outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- January 2019, prefer 12-month commitment
- Full time – 40 hours per week
- Monday – Friday (Nov.-April)
- Sunday – Thursday (May-Oct.)
- 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Wages: $11.00
- Medical, Dental, and vision benefits available
- Field trips
- Attend Holden Forests & Garden classes and programs for free, unless materials fee applies
- Holden Forests & Garden provides housing on site for a nominal charge ($30 per week) for nonlocal interns
- Intern is responsible for obtaining transportation
Salary range: $11.00
Job Classification: Full-time, internship
To apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a resume online:
https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=47173&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001. Deadline for applications is November 23, 2018.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: October 29, 2018
Deadline: November 23, 2018