Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Green Corps Learning Farm – Summer Apprentice.
Green Corps is an urban agricultural work/study program for high school students in Cleveland. With the youth forming the core of the program, our focus over the season revolves around using urban farming as a tool to teach job, leadership and life skills to 50 teens who work part time at the farm closest to their home. Teens receive a paycheck while gaining valuable knowledge from our formal curriculum, hands-on farm work, and real life experience selling their produce at farmers markets and farm stands. With positive evaluations, they can remain in the program for multiple seasons allowing them to become mentors for the younger youth, as well as leaders in their own communities
Hiring: Recruiting/hiring process begins February 2018
Dates of Positions: May through August, 20 hours/week
Primary Function: This seasonal part-time position requires a high-energy, flexible individual who will be an integral member of the Green Corps team. This position will work under the supervision of the Crew Leaders and will assist with managing and educating a team of high school teens to complete the day-to-day operations of the urban Green Corps Learning Farms.
- Under the direction of the Crew Leader, supervise the day to day activities and educational components for 10 – 15 high school youth employees, which includes teaching the weekly curriculum lesson
- Build and maintain positive relationships with each Green Corps student, as well as a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the Learning Farm.
- Work with the Youth Coordinator and Crew Leader to evaluate students’ work, behavior, and learning performance using specified tools and format, and act as a liaison with students’ parents
- Assist with maintaining student records
Farm, Market and Community:
- Under the direction of the Crew Leader implement the day-to-day operation of an urban Learning Farm, including but not limited to, seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, and harvesting in accordance with the pre-established growing plan
- Assist with the weekly farm stand open to the community, which includes advertising in the neighborhood, training volunteers and students on farm stand procedures and meeting season sales goal
- Lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming at the Learning Farm.
- Assist with managing our booth at Farmers Markets and training students on proper market procedures
- Assist with planning and carrying out Learning Farm Open House and special events
- Assist with maintaining farm and harvest records
- Provide feedback to improve and grow Green Corps.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must have High School Diploma/GED and be at least l8 years old
- Working toward an Associate or Bachelor degree in biology, agriculture, education, environmental science or a related area and/or relevant experience or background preferred
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions
- This position requires manual labor including lifting, bending, kneeling, etc.
- Excellent communications skills and able to work in a team-player environment is essential
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on the Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug test
- Previous work as a Green Corps Student Employee preferred but not necessary
Extensive staff training provided on youth management, urban farming and produce sales.
Salary Range: $10-$11
Job Classification: Hourly, Part-time, Seasonal
To apply: To apply, go to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=48619&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service. Deadline to apply: January 13, 2019.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: December 18, 2018
Deadline: January 13, 2019