Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Seasonal Worker - Conservation (arboretum).
Holden Forests & Gardens is recruiting for seasonal workers to assist in its efforts to manage invasive plants within The Holden Arboretum’s 3,000 acre natural areas. The season typically runs from April to October, but shorter work periods may be arranged. Positions are full time Monday – Friday.
- Natural Areas Manager
- Works with horticulture / conservation staff
- Works with seasonal workers
- Works with volunteers
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland. Encompassing more than 3600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- Cleveland Botanical Gardens – located in the heart of University Circle
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Collecting detailed information on plant populations and site conditions
- Electronic mapping using GPS and GIS technology
- Data entry and recordkeeping
- Equipment maintenance
- Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws, backpack sprayers and other application equipment trail maintenance
- Other projects as needed
- Strong customer service skills and experience working with the general public.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently.
- Experienced gardeners preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Safe operation and routine maintenance of mowing equipment and power brush-cutters.
- Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws and backpack sprayers
- Speak, write and understand English
- Travel by automobile as necessary to attend meeting and events
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Climb, reach, pull, push, grab
- Work outdoors in temperature ranges typical for Northeast Ohio
- Work in and around poison ivy, poison sumac, water, mud, brush and stinging insects
- April through October (Flexible starting & ending dates)
- Five days per week, Monday-Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Wage negotiable
- Hourly, non-exempt
Salary Range: $10
Job Classification: Hourly, seasonal
To Apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=49745&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: January 25, 2019
Deadline: February 25, 2019