Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Seasonal Worker – Horticulture Collections (arboretum)
Holden Forests & Gardens is recruiting people to perform hands-on work in our gardens. We will begin staffing these positions for a period of three-(3) to seven-(7) months (starting in April depending on the growing season and project needs.) Positions are full time working Monday – Friday, 7:00 am- 3:30 pm.
- Collections supervisor
- Works with arborist
- Works with volunteers/seasonals
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested area
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Planting, digging and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants
- Pruning, working on ladders
- Weeding, applying mulch and soil amendments
- Transplanting, watering and fertilizing
- Chipping, hauling brush, mowing, weed whipping.
- Pest control, application of herbicides
- Operating and performing routine maintenance on power equipment
- Experience in basic pruning preferred.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Speak, write and understand English
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
- Acceptable driving record (3 points or less)
- Experience in the operation of stick shift vehicles and other machinery (Skid steer, utility vehicles, tractors, chippers, mowers, weed eaters, sprayers, pick up trucks, etc.) a plus.
- Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws and backpack sprayers
- Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Climb, reach, pull, push, grab
- Work outdoors in temperature ranges typical for Northeast Ohio
- Work in and around poison ivy, poison sumac, water, mud, brush and stinging insects
- April through October (Flexible starting & ending dates)
- Five days per week, Monday-Friday, 7am to 3:30pm
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Candidates with no or minimal experience start at $10.00
- Thirty-(30) and sixty-(60) day performance appraisals
Salary Range: $10.00
Job Classification: Hourly, seasonal
To Apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=49749&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: January 28, 2019