Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Tree Corps Crew Member.
Holden Forests & Gardens is long for Tree Corps Crew Members to join our team for our busy season. Tree Corps Crew Members are responsible for attending weekly classroom trainings covering an in-depth range of arboriculture skills in combination with a hands-on learning/work environment. Crew Members will gain arboriculture experience while working at job sites in and around the Cleveland area performing such functions as pruning, mulching, watering, planting, fertilizing, and performing root collar excavations. Crew Members will participate in and support community tree planting projects and interface with residents, volunteers and community members using tree care best practices. The Tree Corps program is a 19-week workforce development temporary position. As a part of the program, there will be an opportunity to obtain certifications through the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA).
- Arrive on time with proper attire and tools.
- Attend and engage in all arboriculture trainings, whether in a classroom or an outside setting.
- Plant, prune, mulch, and care for trees in the urban, suburban, and rural setting.
- Occasionally work with volunteers in tree care projects.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area, and provide proper and safe care forall tools.
- Interact with residents, business owners, or tree care industry companies in aprofessional manner as opportunities arise.
- Provide top quality tree care work with the knowledge gained and ask for supportwhen a task is beyond expertise or ability.
- Follow and enforce all safety guidelines.
- Assist in special tree-related projects as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work a Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm schedule with occasional weekends for tree care events and dates given with notice.
- Reliable daily transportation to work (crew members will meet at Cleveland Botanical Garden and travel to job-sites off-campus in Tree Corps vehicle as needed).
- Must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, snow, and high heat.
- Must be able to provide two professional references preferably from prior work experiences, submitted with application.
- Have a strong desire to gain an understanding of arboriculture including, but not limited to, the topics of Tree ID, Tree Health, Tree Anatomy and Biology, Proper Pruning Techniques, Pests and Diseases, Soils, Worker Safety, Tree Risk Assessment, Urban Forestry, Tree Support Systems, Tree Climbing, and Tree Protection and Nutrition.
- Must be hard-working, committed, and conscientious with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively with staff, volunteers, visitors, and guests
- Must be a resident of Cleveland.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.
- Must be able to set up a direct deposit account.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, climb and stoop; use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, and controls, reach with hands and arms, and have the ability to talk and hear. The employee must have the ability to lift up to 50 lb. occasionally.
Additionally, qualified candidates must have the basic GED skills and be able to read and comprehend documents; must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, guests, and the general public; must have the ability to solve practical problems.
Salary Range: $8.55 - $10.00
Job Classification: Hourly
To apply: This position will be employed through a staffing agency service. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=48987&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
No phone calls, please.
Posted: January 2, 2019
Deadline: February 2, 2019