Holden Forests and Gardens seeks a Summer Seasonal Worker - Education (garden).
Holden Forests and Gardens has a summer seasonal position (approximately Mid-May through Mid-August) available in the Education Department at Cleveland Botanical Garden. The summer seasonal will support the education department with a focus on maintaining the Hershey Children’s Garden. Primary duties include: maintaining grounds, guest engagement, and creating and implementing a summer camp program.
- Reports to the Hershey Children’s Garden Coordinator
- Works with the Manager of Family Engagement and Manager of Adult Education
- Works with the Academic Programs Coordinator
- Works closely with Education Summer Seasonal
- Works with Volunteers
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – Cleveland, Ohio USA
- Located on University Circle, in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district. 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, the Cleveland Botanical Garden and the Holden Arboretum.
Hershey Children’s Garden (75%)
- Assist with the maintenance and horticultural upkeep, including all plantings, garden features, displays, handouts and interpretation in the Hershey Children’s Garden.
- Assist with family engagement events.
- Assist in the development and upkeep of garden interactive areas.
- Lead inquiry-based learning experiences.
- Serve as a point of contact for weekly Hershey Children’s Garden volunteers.
- Collaborate with volunteers to complete projects.
General Education (25%)
- Develop and lead Cleveland Botanical Garden’s summer camp.
- Assist with other responsibilities, programs, and events as necessary in the Education Department.
- High school graduate with minimum 2 years in college or post-secondary program.
- Preferred field: Education, environmental science, horticulture, agriculture, museum studies, social sciences, or related.
- Experience in youth education, leadership or counselor roles.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Exemplary communication skills.
- Experience with plant care and gardening preferred.
- Availability to work weekdays, weekends, and some evenings.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Start/End Dates: Mid-May through mid-August (15 weeks).
- Starting and ending dates are flexible.
- Approximately 40 hours per week: five days per week with weekend work, 9:00 AM to 5:30PM.
Salary Range: $10.30
Job Classification: Hourly, Seasonal
To apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=49486&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: January 16, 2019
To be removed: February 16, 2019