Ohio History Connection seeks a Unit Manager, Ohio History Day.
Ohio History Day is an affiliate of National History Day (NHD), an exciting program that makes history come alive for students. Students learn history by doing history. Students conduct historical research that leads to imaginative exhibits, documentaries, original performances, websites and scholarly papers. NHD reinforces classroom teaching by rewarding students of all abilities for their scholarship, individual initiative and cooperative learning.
The Ohio History Day Unit Manager in the Outreach Division is responsible for the strategic direction, development and implementation of the Ohio History Day program. This person is the visible leader of the program Candidates will be strategic thinkers who are able to develop and implement a vision for the program which will work toward increasing participation, improving program quality, and further integrating the program into the work of the organization. In addition, this role maintains exceptional customer service, builds relationships with district decision makers, and maintains market awareness. This position required overnight travel both in-state and out of state.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set the vision for the program and develops an effective approach for reaching the vision.
- Build and maintain relationships with school districts to increase participation in the program.
- Develop and present classroom and teacher professional development materials.
- Coordinate the appointment or selection and training of Regional Coordinators across the state.
- Support the Ohio History Day Project Assistant in coordinating outreach events and efforts, including classroom visits, teacher professional development programs, and the Ohio History Day State Competition.
- Liaise with the Ohio Department of Education, other state education entities
- Build relationships with a variety of stakeholders to drive philanthropic revenue
- Write and manage grants
- Create and manage sustainable budgets
- Lead and manage Ohio History Day Unit
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Project Assistant, Ohio History Day
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this posting are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualifying disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in education, history, or other humanities, equivalent work experience plus a minimum of five or more years working at public history organizations, schools, colleges, or universities. Middle school and/or high school classroom experience preferred. Grant writing and fund raising experience a plus.
- Self-directed and flexible
- Personable and presents well in front of groups
- Attitude for technology
- Intuitive and proactive in regards to the needs of others
- Effective organizational skills
- Incredible attention to detail
- Able to work independently without supervision
- Even-tempered in moments of stress
- Able to handle multiple tasks
- Discrete and prudent in discerning confidentiality
Certificates or Licensures: Must have a valid driver’s license.
Language Skills: Ability to communicate effectively, and in a timely manner, with diverse audiences having differing levels of knowledge.
Mathematical Skills: Requires budget preparation and monitoring skills.
Technical Skills: Experience with MS Office and database management.
Reasoning Ability: Accuracy and attention to detail and deadlines. Requires refined reasoning ability with aptitude in defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions. Ability to work cooperatively with others. Ability to manage multiple tasks, responsibilities, and projects. Strategic thinker with the ability to put vision into action. JOB VACANCY POSTING
Work Environment: Normal office environment. Days, hours and locations of work may vary to accommodate specific program and participant needs, and will include seasonal weekend and evening work. Willingness to undertake substantial in-state and limited out-of-state travel with occasional overnights. Work may be stressful at times as it involves frequent contact with staff, school administrators, teachers, students, and the public.
Salary Range: $48,000
Job Classification: Full-time, Salary
To apply: All interested applicants should apply online at https://www.ohiohistory.org/about-us/jobs.
Posted: January 31, 2019