June 2017 #OHMuseumChat Resources - Strategic Planning for Museums
The Ohio Museums Association (@OhioMuseums) held our June ?#?OHMuseumChat - Thursday, June 15 on Twitter. Thank you to all the individuals and organizations that participated in this conversation!
For June's topic we discussed Strategic Planning for Museums.
Many thanks to our special guest panelists Jennifer Chandler from the National Council of Nonprofits - @NatlCouncilNPs, Kathy Boukissen from the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums - @RbHayesPres, and Christine Fowler Shearer from Fowler Artistic Resources - @cshearer.
Have questions for our panelists you didn't have a chance to ask during the chat? Be sure to reach out to them via twitter with #?OHMuseumChat!
Weren't able to make it to this month's chat, but want to stay in the loop on the great conversation with other museum professionals? We have you covered! You can find a summary from June's #?OHMuseumChat here.
There were many resources referenced during this month's chat. Those and more are listed below:
American Alliance of Museums
American Association for State and Local History
- StEPs Program – learn more information about StEPS, the self-study, Standards and Excellence program from AASLH designed specifically for small- to mid-sized organizations.
- Blog, When Things Aren’t in the Plan. By: Melizza Prycer. January 7, 2015.
- Magazine article, History Bytes: The Importance of a Digital Strategy (Part 1 of 2). For History News, Autumn 2012, Volume 67, #4. By: Tim Grove.
- Blog, A Tale of Two Strategic Plans: Setting Realistic Goals at the Chemung County Historical Society. By: Bruce Whitmarsh. May 4, 2016
- Book, Leading the Historical Enterprise: Strategic Creativity, Planning and Advocacy for the Digital Age. By: Bruce W. Dearstyne. December, 2014.
- Technical Leaflet, DIY Strategic Planning for Small Museums. By: Cinnamon Catlin-Legutko. Spring 2008.
Center for Nonprofit Management
Free Management Library
Institute of Museum and Library Services
Joan Garry Consulting
La Piana Consulting
National Council of Nonprofits
The Bridgespan Group
The Washington Nonprofit Institute
The Manual of Strategic Planning for Museums. By: Gail Dexter Lord and Kate Markert. April 9, 2007.
The Manual of Strategic Planning for Cultural Organizations: A Guide for Museums, Performing Arts, Science Centers, Public Gardens, Heritage Sites, Libraries, Archives and Zoos. By: Gail Dexter Lord and Kate Markert. March 17, 2017.
Thanks again for a fantastic June chat! We hope you can join us for our July #?OHMuseumChat, Thursday, July 20 at noon as we discuss Working with School Groups!
Have a great topic for an upcoming chat? Drop us a line at [email protected] or tweet @OhioMuseums and let us know!